Industrial Pipe Guide... February 08 2016, 0 Comments

Here's a question that we get a lot...

"I made a desk/table, and used pipes that I picked up at Home Depot / Lowe's / Menards / etc. for the legs. Is there a caster that I can use to attach to the pipes?"

Absolutely! This is why we feature casters with expanding adapter stems that can be used on pipe legs. For a video explaining how it works, check this out.

The problem is, the sizes that are commonly listed on the packaging of these pipes is not exactly accurate. In order to find out which adapter size is required, you first need to measure the inside diameter of the pipe legs you're using. This can be tricky, so we went ahead and did all the dirty work for you...

We covered the four main sizes that you'll find at the major hardware outlets: 1/2", 3/4", 1", and 1-1/4". You'll see that the true measurements are quite different than what they list on the packaging, which is where most of the confusion comes from when trying to find casters for pipe legs.

Just take the inside diameter listed above (which is also listed on the product pages), match it up to the "expanding stem range" drop-down option, and you're good to go. If you're pipe size falls outside the four sizes we included, the same process applies - you'll just have to measure the inside diameter of the pipe yourself.

Expanding stems are available on both the 4 inch and 5 inch versions.

Now get out there and make some cool stuff!